15 Mar 2019
This nutty brown rice salad adds cheer to any celebration! Remember to cook the rice in advance, at least 24 hours – refrigerate it , so that it will be nice and cool, and will add the exact flavor to the salad!
Prep Time: 10 mins mins
Cook Time: 5 mins mins
Total Time: 15 mins mins
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (available in Indian stores)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pinch chilli pepper
- 220 grams Laila Brown Rice – cooked in advance
- 1 apple
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 110grams dried apricots, bananas, sultanas, etc., coarsely chopped
- 110g assorted nuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs
- 150ml vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- salt and ground black pepper
- Heat oil, add onion and fry until soft. Stir in garam masala, turmeric and chilli pepper. Continue to fry for one minute.
- Place cooked Laila Brown rice in a mixing bowl and stir in the onion and spice mixture with a fork.
- Core and slice the apple, and sprinkle the apple slices with the lemon juice. Add the apple to the rice mixture with the dried fruit, chopped nuts and herbs. Mix all together thoroughly.
- Mix the vegetable oil and vinegar together and use to moisten the salad. Season well with salt and pepper.