Kicharee, simple but delicious vegetarian rice dish, is the ultimate comfort food and in fact is the inspiration for the traditional British Kedgeree. Made from a mixture of moong dal, Laila basmati rice and spices, this dish is a traditional cleansing meal in India.
- Soak dal (lentils) and rice separately for an hour.
- In a pan, heat oil and add onions, frying them until golden brown.
- Add in tomatoes and sprinkle some salt, turmeric and chillies, mixing them well.
- Put two cups of water in the pan along with a pinch of cumin powder. Bring it to a boil.
- Drain the dal and put it in this mixture, keeping the lid on for 10 minutes and then simmering on low heat.
- When the dal is half cooked, add in rice but do not add any more water.
- Put the lid on, let it cook on high heat for ten minutes and then turn the heat down, place a wet tea towel over it, putting the lid back.
- Leave it for fifteen minutes and then serve.
- 1 cup Laila basmati rice
- ½ cup moong dal (lentils)
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 1 tbsp tomatoes (canned)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric and chili each
- 2 green chillies