Full of flavours Lamb Curry is a South Asian favourite. This easy to follow and delicious recipe for tender lamb in spices will make the perfect dish to share with your family on Eid.
For the steamed rice:
- In a small-to-medium saucepan, rinse the rice 2-3 times with cool water.
- Add water to approximately 1 inch or 1 finger joint above the rice.
- Add salt if desired
- Cook on medium to medium-high heat until the water has boiled down to the level of the rice.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and continue to cook 12-15 minutes. Do not stir or uncover.
- Turn off heat and allow the rice to steam undisturbed for at least 15 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.
For the Lamb Curry:
- Wash the lamb well in cold water. The lamb will also absorb some water which makes the meat nice and tender
- Heat some oil in a large pan and add in the onions to fry till just golden
- Add in the black and green cardamoms, cinnamon stick, black peppercorn, chillies, bay leaves, salt and finally the cumin seeds. Fry until the onions turn brown
- Add in the ginger – garlic paste and some water. Keep stirring
- Add the turmeric, coriander and chilli powder and mix in well and add in some more water
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook on a low heat until the tomatoes are fully cooked (the oil will start to rise to the top).
- Add in the lamb and stir well to coat everything and then finally add in the yoghurt. Cover and let simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every 5 or 10 minutes to prevent the meat from sticking to the base of the pan.
- Once the lamb is tender and cooked, add in the juice of the lemon and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with steamed Laila Basmati Rice
- 2 cups Laila Basmati Rice
- 3 cups of water
- Salt to taste (optional)
- 2 kg leg of lamb, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Laila ginger-garlic paste
- 4 medium onions, finely sliced
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 8 -10 green cardamoms
- 1 -2 inch cinnamon stick
For the Lamb Curry:
- 20 whole black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 8 -10 green chillies
- 5 -10 dried bay leaves
- 4 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp natural yoghurt
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon