Awaken the chef in you by trying this lamb pilau made from a fragrant mix of lamb, rice and spices for a filling dinner. For more intense flavour, add in nuts and mint. Feel free to experiment by substituting the meat in this recipe with prawns or chicken.
- Pour six glasses of water in a large pan and place the lamb, salt, garlic, aniseed, coriander seeds, cumin, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom within.
- Put it on a high heat until the water starts boiling. Once the water begins to boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer until the lamb becomes tender.
- Drain the meat, saving Yakhni or meat stock for later use.
- In a separate pan, heat some oil and fry onions until they are golden brown in colour; add in the grated carrot till it is sautéed well.
- Add all the spices and sauté for around 5 minutes.
- Add lamb and continue to sauté for 5 minutes.
- Now it is time to put in rice with the stock.
- Turn up the heat and start drying the water.
- Once the water starts to evaporate, lower the flame and place a tea towel over the pan and put the lid on top.
- Allow the rice to cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring once. Serve hot.
For the Rice:
- 1 kg Laila basmati rice
- 2 onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 3 black cardamom
- 6 cloves
- 4 tsp salt
- ½ cup cooking oil
For the Lamb:
- 1 kg mutton/lamb
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 garlic cloves
- 3 tsp aniseed
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp black cumin
- 3 tsp white cumin
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 4 black cardamom