A popular entree from Lebanon, Shish Tawook is a chicken-on-skewers recipe with tender and juicy chicken marinated in yogurt, lemon juice, garlic and a medley of spices. Easy to make at home, this traditional Middle Eastern dish can be served with pita bread after a day of devout fasting during Ramadan!
- In a large bowl, prepare marinade by combining yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, tomato paste, allspice, salt and pepper. Whisk it properly to make a smooth paste.
- Add in chicken cubes and coat it with the marinade. Cover and let it rest in the fridge for at least 5 hours for chicken to become tender.
- Assemble the chicken skewers with one piece of onion on each skewer. Make sure the chicken is enough for 8 skewers.
- Grill on medium heat for 7-8 minutes each side.
- Shish Tawook is ready to be served with pita bread, lettuce and garlic sauce.
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast (cut into larger chunks)
- ¼ cup plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp ginger (ground)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper (ground)
- 1 onion (cut into about 8 pcs)
- 8 Bamboo Skewers