For this healthy and delicious Spinach Dal from India, all you need is a few ingredients (already there in your pantry) and 45 minutes. This creamy, wholesome lentil curry, made from split chickpeas, spinach and spices is perfect for your weekday meals as it can be refrigerated well in advance. Bursting with flavours and packed with plant powered nutrients, this recipe can have several variations from the choice of dal, method of cooking to inclusion of different vegetables. Serve it with Laila basmati rice and treat yourself with a comforting meal.
- In a pressure cooker, heat some oil on medium-high heat.
- Add onions and sauté until it turns soft and pink.
- Add in tomatoes, split chickpea, spinach leaves, fenugreek leaves. Do not stir them.
- Season it with salt, turmeric, red chili, coriander powder and green chillies. Add 1½ cups water.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles, about 8-10 minutes until the lentils turn soft and spinach and fenugreek leaves wilt.
- Let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid and mash the mixture with wooden whisk (whirling continuously).
- Add water as per the desired consistency and bring the spinach dal to a gentle boil on sauté mode.
- Temper it with garlic and asafoetida in oil.
- Serve piping hot with whole grain naan made from Laila Naan Atta or a steaming bowl of Laila basmati rice.
- 2 cups spinach (chopped)
- ½ cup Laila Split Chickpeas (rinsed and soaked for 30 minutes)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 green chillies (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup fenugreek leaves (optional)
- 1½ tbsp oil (desirable cooking oil)
- salt (to taste)
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander Powder (dried)
- 4 garlic cloves (for tempering)
- ½ tsp Asafoetida (for tempering)