Try stuffing bell peppers with a mixture made from minced lamb, rice and tomatoes and bake them to perfection. This soul-satisfying celebration of bell peppers, herbs and spices from the salty seas of Caribbean can be your ideal summer supper.
- Preheat oven to 180° C/Gas Mark 4.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion and minced lamb; cook until the onion becomes tender and the meat is no longer pink (for about 7 minutes).
- Stir in rice, salt, black pepper and mint; continue cooking 5 minutes. Then add water and parsley.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking and stirring until the water has been completely absorbed by rice (about 15 minutes).
- Pour chicken stock and chopped tomatoes together in an oven-proof dish that will just fit the bell peppers.
- Scoop the lamb and rice mixture into bell peppers and place them into the dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 45 minutes until bell peppers are tender and the tomatoes are bubbling.
- 140 gm Laila long rain or basmati rice
- 450 gm lamb (minced)
- 6 bell peppers (top removed and seeded)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (ground)
- 1/2 tsp dried mint (crushed)
- 250 ml water
- 4 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)
- 415 ml chicken stock
- 1 (400 gm) tin tomatoes (chopped)