Explore the world recipes
SHARE, SAVE or SUbmit
MOONG DAL HALWA
- South Asian
- Rinse and soak the moong dal in water for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain to remove excess water. Grind to a coarse paste using very little water.
- Dissolve the saffron in 1 tablespoon of warm milk. Set aside.
- Melt the ghee in a broad non-stick pan. Add moong dal paste and stir the mixture continuously on a low flame till it becomes golden brown.
- Add in the warm milk, 1 cup of warm water and cook, stirring constantly till all the moisture has been absorbed.
- Add the sugar and cook on a slow flame till the ghee separates.
- Add the saffron mixture, cardamom powder and mix well.
- Garnish with slivers of almonds and cashew nuts. Serve hot!
- 1 cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)
- 1 cup warmed milk
- 1 & 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
- A few saffron strands
- 6 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds (badam) and cashew nuts