Tomato rice, also known as Thakkali Sadam, is a popular South Indian dish made out of pureed tomatoes and lots of spices. Turn your plain rice into delicious and easy to prepare tangy tomato rice, which can be served as an accompaniment to the main meat dish or can be relished with pickle, chips, yoghurt, etc.
- Begin with rinsing and soaking the rice and leave aside for half an hour.
- After the rice has soaked, boil it in water until it has cooked and become fluffy.
- In a separate pan, heat some oil and add mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal and fennel seeds. Add in cashew nuts, green chillies, curry leaves and continue to fry.
- Add onions and cook until they become translucent. Gradually, add ginger-garlic paste and fry for further 30 seconds.
- Add in pureed tomatoes and continue to cook.
- Now add chopped tomato, salt, garam masala and chilli powder. Cook this for a couple of minutes. Now toss the cooked rice with this masala.
- In the end, sprinkle the rice with freshly cut coriander leaves and serve.
- 2 cups Laila basmati rice
- ½ onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp Laila ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (pureed)
- 1 tsp chana dal and urad dal
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 green chillies (chopped)
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- A pinch of garam masala
- Coriander leaves (garnishing)
- Salt (to taste)
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp oil